Friday 4 June 2010

Profile of Dysphemic for Knowledge magazine

An article I was commissioned to write for Knowledge magazine. See the original here.



Dysphemic is an Australian drum'n'bass and dubstep producer who has recently finished a live tour of Europe. With a debut EP about to be released on his self-titled label and an album in the pipeline, we thought it was time to catch up with the man himself…

What made you set up a label?
I never wanted to have to compromise my sound by having to deal with a bunch of industry people, so I set up Dysphemic Productions. Now I have complete creative control over my music and I can manage the way I promote myself. I love being my own boss.

How do you feel you fit into the Australian d'n'b and dubstep scenes?
Dubstep is alive and growing fast in Melbourne, but I like to think my dubstep differs from the standard wobble-heavy basslines. It's definitely more glitchy and melodic than your average dubstep. As for my d'n'b, it's a lot darker and nastier than the standard jump-up classics. I'm generally booked to play when the crowd is ready to get crazy loose. I'm not a DJ: all my sets are 100% original material, so I have heaps of control over the direction of my sets.

Are the scenes closely linked there or are they quite self-contained?
Yes definitely. They go hand-in-hand here in Australia.

Were any producers or labels a particular influence on your sound?
Computer game music (especially Amiga) was pretty much my original influence. Blood Fist records were the crew who actually got me into writing electronic music in the first place. Their use of trackers was a massive influence on how I used to (and still do) write most of my tracks. Squarepusher was also another major inspiration for me.

You used to be a member of a speedcore group. Has this had an influence on how your approach music?
Yes. Even to this day my tunes still have a heavy use of vocal samples from B grade horrors movies which was a direct influence from speedcore and gabba. I’m always experimenting and cross connecting different styles. I guess this has freed up my style a bit and made it less formulaic.

What are your plans for the future?
After this Hypnosis album is released my next album, which is already underway, will be a return to some darker drum'n'bass sounds. I’m thinking of a corrupt cops / politicians theme, but we’ll see what happens.

As for touring, I’m interested in touring America and eventually Europe again. It’ll be large.

No comments:

Post a Comment